Acts 5:29

“But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭5:29‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Peter and the apostles demonstrated at this moment an obedience that exceeded far beyond any form of obedience that I have ever experienced in my walk as a Christian. They followed Jesus’s example of complete selflessness to the point of death and put their lives directly in the hands of the Lord by standing up for the light and truth that is Jesus Christ. They were directly commanded to stop preaching by the high council of Jerusalem about Jesus Christ being our Lord and savior after already being arrested for their preaching and responded by saying “We must obey God rather than men.” And then not only said that but continued into saying how not only is Christ our Lord and savior but how this how council was responsible for his death and how they had to repent and seek forgiveness for their sins. They had to expect by saying something like this that they were going to get either thrown back in jail or even put to death for blasphemy or some other charge. But they remained bold in their words, and allowed their fear of God to overpower any of their worldly fears of men. If only I had such a fear and obedience as these men had. I couldn't even talk about Christ to some of my friends and family back home for fear of being looked at funny and these men were fighting for Christ to their graves. It truly makes me realize how lacking I am in obedience and how I still have so much more to grow in this walk of mine. We truly should obey no one but God in the decisions that we make throughout life. Now yes God puts people in our lives so that we can hear the wisdom and guidance that they could provide us, but ultimately we must listen to God’s voice alone. It is when we fail to have a greater fear in his voice than man’s that we will begin to fall back in our walks, and ultimately cause ourselves to sway off the narrow path. The next time I communicate with someone from back home, I will not hesitate from speaking about how I have been growing in my walk, and I won't shrink back from the fact that I am a follower of Christ and not a follower of man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke 17:7-10

1 Corinthians 9:22

Deuteronomy 7:9