Psalm 111:10

“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭111:10‬ ‭NKJV‬‬


The fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord. Since this verse states that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,” to find wisdom we must understand what it means to fear the Lord. A lot of people may just think that when it says to fear God that by being afraid of what God can do you will keep his commandments. But the Word tells us to not live in fear and that being a follower of Jesus frees us from sin, but fearing for our lives doesn't sound very freeing. So what does it mean then by “the fear of the Lord”? Personally I feel that it means not to fear WHAT the Lord has done, but to understand who the Lord is in all his sovereignty. Well if we apply what pastor Steve was teaching us the other day in class, what know that God in his sovereignty does everything out of love. Not just loving or full of love, but the actual encapsulation of love. So, we know that the Lord is love, but how do we gain wisdom through love? Do we ask for wisdom in a loving way? By acknowledging that God loves us will he give us wisdom? John 15:9 NKJV “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.” John‬ ‭15:12‬ ‭NKJV‬‬ “This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” So God the father loved Jesus. And Jesus loved us in the same way that God the father loved him. And Jesus then tells us to love one another as he has loved us. So how did Jesus love? Well, he sacrificed himself so that we could spend eternity with him and his father in Heaven. He loved in a completely selfless way, and gave up all his rights for all of ours. So, how does that teach us how to gain wisdom? When we strive to be more like Christ, to love like he loved, God will provide us the wisdom necessary to love in the way. And when we seek to help others in a truly loving way, God will provide us the wisdom necessary to help those people. Ephesians 3:19 “and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.” In my own experience, that seems much easier said then done. I'm always in need of wisdom every day, especially when I am seeking to help others. But when I actually like honestly at myself a lot of times when I'm looking for wisdom I'm looking for it in a selfish way and in a way that will only benefit myself and won't change my heart to be more like Christ. My motives aren't pure and derived from love but rather from selfishness, boastfulness, and wickedness. To help change this throughout the week I'm going to look for conversations in which I can share wisdom in and if it is wisdom that I think came from God I'm going to write it down so I can reflect on it later to determine if my motives really were pure and selfless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke 17:7-10

1 Corinthians 9:22

Deuteronomy 7:9