Matthew 20:26-28

“It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭20:26-28‬ ‭ESV‬‬


So many times in my life I wish I could be a leader when I can't be. Constantly throughout my life I've wanted to be in charge of those around me, and felt that I could've done a pretty good job as the leader. It's honestly kind of funny, aside from maybe in sports or doing projects with people I've never truly been a leader before. Even with those few instances I've never had a complete position of authority over someone and if put in a leadership role I honestly don't know how I'd do, even if I think I'd do well. Being that I've never truly lead anyone how could I know without having any personal experience right? For example, I had played soccer all my life until my high school career ended, and even though I played for almost my entire life, I had never been a coach before. Now sure I probably know more than most people about soccer, but most of the time when I was playing I wasn't watching the coaches to see how to become a good coach, but rather I was watching the coaches to become a good player. I was never learning how to lead people as a coach, I was just learning how to lead as a player. Well I feel like James and John were kind of in the same boat here. They have been with Jesus for a long time now, and they were two of Jesus’s disciples. They were a part of Jesus’s A team. So they probably thought that they were pretty good players. They might have even thought that they were the best players on the team, and because of that they felt they deserved to be Jesus’s assistant coaches. Well just because you are a good player doesn't mean that you are going to be a good coach. Any athletic person can learn how to play a sport if they put their mind to it, all it takes is time and dedication. However, the only way to learn how to be a great coach is to have been a player underneath of a great coach. To become a great leader you need to serve under great leaders. You need to see how great leaders lead and the best way to learn from them is to serve them and watch them lead you. Now eventually James and John would come to understand this, but is this something that we truly understand? Today I have to speak with a leader about something and I'm going to make it a point to watch how the leader handles my situation and learn how to lead by following their example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke 17:7-10

1 Corinthians 9:22

Deuteronomy 7:9