1 Timothy 4:8

“for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ 4:8 ESV

As someone who played sports for the majority of his life I can definitely relate a lot to this verse. From the time I was three until I was 18 I played soccer. I've played during every time of the year and in pretty much any type of climate that you could play in. I spent all those years always attempting to better my skills physically, become more fit, and/or increase my mental understanding of the game. Whether I was just playing in games, at practice, watching games on TV, or just messing around with friends, I was always seeking to improve my skills or gain new skills that I didn't have before. I learned a lot of life lessons from playing soccer over the years. I learned a lot about discipline, leadership, communication, team work, and adhering to authority. Fortunately for me these lessons taught me a lot and I've been able to carry over these lessons that I've learned and apply them in every day life. However, even though I did learn many lessons from soccer and might have picked up on some good habits during all that time, I was never spiritually gained anything. All the teachings I gained an understanding to were just being applied to the world and I wasn't applying any of those lessons to my spiritual understanding of God. All that time I spent on temporary and worldly betterment I never got to spend on bettering my relationship with God. Learning how to be good how sports might teach you some good lessons but it doesn't help you at all if you aren't taking the lessons that you are learning and applying them to your relationship with God. If I would've been seeking godliness during that time of my life I could've greatly improved my understanding of the Lord, but because I was only seeking temporary betterment I honestly was just wasting a lot of my time. Today while working at Mud Man I'm going to see if I can apply any lessons that I learn there to my walk with the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke 17:7-10

1 Corinthians 9:22

Deuteronomy 7:9